0

Protectorate and residency - yes. But colony? Never

on 5/20/2009 10:40:00 AM
With the scholarship interviews lurking right around the corner, I've taken initiative in brushing up on my knowledge of Brunei Darussalam. I've been memorising the ministers' names, important dates, themes and so on. I guess you can say I've gone all MIB now.

Speaking of MIB. Last night the MIB Concept Forum was held at the ICC Plenary Hall, which I regrettably missed due to bodyaches and lethargy, in accordance with the Silver Jubilee National Day 2009. In attendance wah HM the Sultan, the royal family, nobles, ministers and the 'rakyat' of Brunei Darussalam. Do you know why I regret not attending the event? It's because there were - in my own terms - epic moments according to my parents. HM started the proceedings with a speech questioning the reliabiity of the MIB board which was appointed in 2001. Then as it was a forum, the chairman of the ostentatious occasion was berated by meny questions which led to some heavy discussion at some points. At least I think it was heavy as the event ended 10 minutes before midnight.

I know that might not seem interesting to you but to me, it's my cup of tea (I hope I'm using this expression correctly).

Despite missing out on the event, I managed to get a copy of the Titah book and the program book (which contains lots of information on the hierarchy of the Brunei government and other information). I've started reading the Titah book and I find it very interesting and informative. 

When I read the first Titah in the book, I had chills all over. The Titah was delivered on the day Brunei achieved it's independence. I could not imagine the sense of pride, joy and relief of those in attendance of that auspicious occasion. It brought me back to form 4 - when I was learning about the history of Brunei. Then it didn't seem as interesting, probably because it seemed to me as a task that I HAD to do. But now, there is a sense of pride in learning about Brunei and it's history <--- Don't mind this, it's just the historian in me talking.

I realise that not everything that I'm reading about is necessary in the interviews. It might even be ok not to know some stuff and be honest about it. But seeing that I've got lots of free time, I might as well spend it on stimulating my brain.

0 Comments

Copyright © 2009 Protective Headgear Recommended.... All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.