0

Nasi Katok - one of the things I'm grateful for being a Bruneian

on 5/14/2009 01:35:00 PM
In my 2 weeks of perma-employment (now I'm just on call until the night shifts starts next week or the week after) my lunch menu consisted of rice, sambal (gravy) and chicken. Yes people, I'm talking about Nasi Katok - undoubtedly the most versatile, economic and fulfilling meal ever. So in those two weeks, I found myself obsessed with Nasi Katok. Every morning before lunch, I'd think about what type of nasi katok I'd eat for lunch that day and where. My obsessions with this "culinary innovation" led me to google it and I found this:
Definition:

Nasi: Rice.
Katok (originally “Ketuk”): Knock.
Nasi Katok: B$1.00 meal consisting of rice, sambal and chicken. Sambal can be categorised into biasa and padas.

History:

The reason why the name “Nasi Katok” derived from this family who lived in Ong Sum Ping who (used to?) sell these so-called nasi bungkus meal only at night time. Why Katok? Translating the word “katok”, as above, is knock. This means that people who wanted to buy this nasi katok has to knock on the door and then make their order. This Ong Sum Ping resident is the pioneers of the evergrowing Nasi Katok outlets in Brunei.

Development:

Nasi Katok has gain its popularity over these past months. Until today, you can find at least one Nasi Katok outlet in every area. A few of those who are successful in this business managed to open up another branch elsewhere. I am quite amazed by their hardwork in filling up the tummies of Bruneians (and foreigners).

Despite not knowing the extent of it's accuracy and precision, since it is the only information availabe on nasi katok on the internet it is logical to think that the aforementioned information is as closest to the truth as possible (iyea star trek talk). I always thought that Nasi Katok originated from the Lambak area. Also nasi katok does not only come with chicken. There's this place I know, close to where I live by the way (which is the best in my opinion),  that serves nasi katok lambchop. Doesn't that make you drool? 


0 Comments

Copyright © 2009 Protective Headgear Recommended.... All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.